Hydro Scheduling Consultant (ESC) - Auburn or Oakland
Company: PG&E Corporation
Posted on: January 25, 2023
Requisition ID -# 140407 -Job Category: Maintenance /
Construction / Operations; Power Generation -Job Level: Individual
ContributorBusiness Unit: Electric OperationsWork Type: HybridJob
Location: Auburn; Oakland - - - -Department Overview -PG&E's
Power Generation Department manages and operates the largest
privately-owned hydroelectric system in the nation. These clean and
affordable electric generation resources, located mostly at high
elevation in California's Sierra Nevada and southern Cascade
mountains include over 60 powerhouses, 150 miles of canals, 90
reservoirs, and 100,000 acres of watershed lands - all covered by
operating licenses issued by the Federal Energy Regulatory
Commission (FERC). -Position Summary -This position forecasts water
runoff and optimizes hydro schedules including the water releases
from PG&E and/or Partnership Reservoirs, and in the process
forecasts hydroelectric generation. This position also provides
PG&E energy traders with optimized reservoir release guidance.
-The position is responsible for most hydro meteorological
questions and information requests that refer to their assigned
watersheds. - -PG&E is providing the salary range that the
company in good faith believes it might pay for this position at
the time of the -job posting. This compensation range is specific
to the locality of the job. - The actual salary paid to an
individual will be -based on multiple factors, including, but not
limited to, specific skills, education, licenses or certifications,
experience, -market value, geographic location, collective
bargaining agreements, and internal equity. - -Although we estimate
-the -successful candidate hired -into this role will be placed
towards the middle or entry point of the range, the decision -will
be -made on a case-by-case -basis related to these factors.---A
reasonable salary range is:---Bay Area Minimum: $---113,196Bay Area
Maximum: $---139,896&/OR---California Minimum:
$------113,196California Maximum: $139,896 -Job Responsibilities
- Forecast runoff and provide continuously updated, revised water
release guidance in a timely manner to energy traders, generation
supervisors, hydrographers, hydro maintenance planners, and
partnership agencies as may be needed.
- Performs hydro studies and analysis as may be needed and/or as
requested. Examples include reservoir top-off planning under
various hydrological scenarios, water duty analysis, and flood
- Forecast and schedule one or more watersheds, perform
probabilistic hydro meteorological analysis with opportunity cost
type tradeoffs. -
- Represent PG&E as the hydrologic expert for assigned
watershed(s) to outside groups/agencies.
- Safely meet all regulatory scheduling requirements and modeling
constraints while optimizing the hydro resource to capture maximum
generation and capacity value.
- Coordinate storm operations. Advise appropriate parties when
forecast evolves. Forecast spill and flood watch.
- Provide guidance on reservoir top-off.
- Support hydro powerhouse outage planning though scenario
- Support license compliance, including forecasting and tracking
water year types and assisting with flow variances.
- Assist with FERC hydro project re-licensing or other hydrology
related work. Specific assigned duties may include contributions to
hydrographic work and hydrological model development, testing, and
- Quarterly review of hydro powerhouse flow data for annual
submission to USGS.
- Performs water billing if required. -ScopeResponsible to
autonomously forecast runoff and provide continuously updated,
revised water release guidance in a timely manner to energy traders
and generation supervisors in the field as may be needed. Performs
water studies and analysis as may be needed and/or as requested.
-InteractionExternal contacts are with contractors, vendors and
local public agencies with ministerial authority. Internal contacts
are with clients (energy trading hydrographers, and other field
personnel), project team members, and company management.
Represents PG&E as the hydrologist for assigned watersheds.
-Qualifications -Minimum: -
- Bachelor's -degree or higher in water/hydrology, meteorology,
geology or related science or mathematical field. -Alternate
bachelor's degree may be considered with extensive experience and
knowledge of PG&E, Partnership, or similar watersheds. This
position must possess the technical and scientific skills
characteristic of a professional hydrologist. -Desired: -
- Has detailed expertise and understanding of PG&E's
hydroelectric system, contracts, licenses, and
- Ability to quickly apply hydrological knowledge, statistical
probability, and computer skills to optimize water releases and
provide credible water operation guidance in a time-constrained
- Ability to present water management plans in a credible and
professional manner, consistent with best practices.
- Ability to quickly assess storm situations and provide
recommended guidance for flood or high-water situations.
- Must have excellent computer skills in quantitative analysis
and running hydrologic models.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including experience using
Excel for modeling and analysis.
- Ability to communicate effectively with both internal and
external clients and public agencies.
- Have, in addition to a hydrology knowledge base, a basic
understanding of California geology and the principles of
Keywords: PG&E Corporation, Sacramento , Hydro Scheduling Consultant (ESC) - Auburn or Oakland, Professions , Auburn, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!