Employment & Education Specialist
Company: Unity Care
Posted on: February 15, 2019
Job Title Employment & Education Specialist Position ID Duration Location Auburn, CA 95603 Other Location DescriptionAbout Unity Care Our mission is to provide quality youth and family programs for the purpose of creating healthier communities through lifelong partnerships. Headquartered in San Jose, with incredible weather, culture and sports, and the SF Bay and ocean just minutes away. Unity Care offers a wide range of services benefiting at-risk and foster youth and their families throughout Northern California. Its signature program, established in 1993, focuses on serving the housing needs of youth in foster care and beyond. The organization provides more than two dozen community-based, education and behavioral health programs, transforming the lives of over 6,000 youth and families annually. We are proud to have one of the most ethnically and culturally diverse workforce in the Bay Area. We have a friendly, servant-leader culture with significant growth opportunities. OVERVIEW: The Employment and Education Specialist provides targeted educational and employment support to current and former foster care youth in the Placer County ILP program. This position will support youth to identify and work toward educational and employment goals that support their long term permanency. The Specialist will provide light touch and intensive education and employment services, case coordinate with external providers, link youth to community resources, and act as an advocate and resource in all youth services towards their education and employment goals. DIRECT REPORTS:
- None QUALIFICATIONS: Required
- Bachelor's degree in an employment, rehabilitation or social work field
- Three years' of experience working with at-risk youth in an employment and educational context, preferably current and former foster youth.
- Excellent knowledge of education and employment resources for youth in Placer County
- General knowledge of the issues facing transition age foster youth.
- High level of personal accountability for the quality and impact of work.
- Excellent communication skills, professional demeanor, sound judgment, and strong organizational skills.
- Willingness to work collaboratively, but with the capacity to work independently.
- Must have a dependable car, valid driver's license, and proof of insurance, this will be a mobile position.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office programs, particularly Word and Excel. Preferred
- Master's Degree strongly preferred.
- Spanish speaking a plus. RESPONSIBILITIES INCLUDE (but not limited to): Employment
- Assist youth in securing full time, part-time, and summer employment.
- Develop jobs for in-care and emancipated foster care youth.
- Accompany youth to job fairs, job interviews and submitting applications as needed.
- Work with youth participants to create and revise resumes.
- Counsel youth in career exploration and planning.
- Case coordinate with community service providers to ensure youth develop and maintain employment plans.
- Coach youth participants on handling work-related issues and promote self-advocacy.
- Work with youth to increase success in job retention.
- Lead workshops for youth participants on vocational and career-related topics.
- Other duties as assigned. Education
- Assess educational status and interests of youth participants.
- Develop and maintain relationships with high schools, GED services, colleges, and vocational schools.
- Counsel youth participants on available financial aid and assist them in the application process.
- Interface with special education departments and staff, support IEP meetings for youth.
- Lead workshops for youth participants on education-related topics.
- Work with external service providers to ensure youth develop and maintain their educational plan.
- Other duties as assigned. Case Coordination
- Coordinate education and employment services with ILP Coordinators and external services providers.
- Identify and advocate for services that youth need in order to reach their goals.
- Leverage external provider support to ensure youth receive essential services and resources.
- Build strong partner relationships with local employment agencies.
- Ensure youth are meeting Action Plan goals with respect to employment and education.
- Enter all data on time and correctly to support program evaluation and outcomes tracking.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues across the organization and within respective department.
- Attend weekly program meetings, monthly agency staff meetings, and individual weekly supervision with ILP Program Manager.
- Manage case files with timely and accurate documentation related to progress notes and billings.
- Other duties as assigned. Compensation We maintain a collaborative learning environment where people are challenged, grow, and have fun. We offer highly competitive compensation and an excellent benefits package, including generous time off, health and dental benefits, and 403b contribution. Unity Care is an Equal Employee Opportunity employer. Please send a resume and cover letter to: Openings 1
Keywords: Unity Care, Sacramento , Employment & Education Specialist, Human Resources , Auburn, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!