Medical Laboratory Technician II - Generalist, Day Shift
Company: IDEXX Laboratories, Inc
Location: West Sacramento
Posted on: January 15, 2019
IDEXX BioResearch Laboratories, Inc., a division of Idexx Laboratories, Inc. is a leader in diagnostic testing for both the veterinary and research market.
The Medical Laboratory Technician II performs laboratory analyses and tests. Prepares samples, sets up instruments, runs tests and reads, interprets and releases results. May perform variety of customer service activities for internal and external customers.
This is a full time (40 hr/wk) day shift position with hours Monday - Friday 9am-5:30pm.
This is a generalist role working in Hematology, Chemistry and Urinalysis. Experience performing manual differentials highly preferred.
- PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Sets up and runs lab tests.
- Reads and releases test results.
- Tests performed may be more routine and less complex.
- Exercises judgment in evaluating and reporting results in consultation with veterinarians/pathologists and others.
- Performs equipment maintenance activities.
- Knowledge of lab equipment and procedures.
- Awareness of quality control and calibration.
- Developing knowledge of multiple specialties.
- Works under close to moderate supervision with limited latitude for independent judgment.
- Consult with senior peers on non-complex tasks to learn through experience.
- Normally receives general instructions on routine work, detailed instructions on new assignments.
- Basic skills and proficiency (may sacrifice speed for accuracy until proficiency grows).
- Applies job skills and lab policies and procedures to complete a variety of tasks.
- Works on tasks that are semi-routine in nature where ability to recognize deviation from accepted practice is required.
- May be cross trained and perform specimen processing responsibilities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Adheres to and models the IDEXX Purpose & Guiding Principles.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required, 2, 3 or 4 year degree in Science-related field preferred. Medical or Clinical Laboratory degree is highly preferred or military equivalent training.
- Typically 1+ years experience.
- Laboratory experience preferred.
REQUIRED SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Laboratory skills, with experience setting up, running and reading lab tests and operating lab instruments.
- General science background, including hematology/chemistry helpful.
- Attention to detail.
- Organized with ability to multi-task in a fast paced environment.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Positive, can-do attitude.
- Knowledge of Good Clinical Practice (GCP) as appropriate.
- Supervisory skills, if a lead position.
- Personal computer skills, including strong typing ability and proficient use of Microsoft Office.
- Extensive sitting, phone and computer use.
- Capable of standing continuously for up to 2 hours.
- Extend and reach with hands and arms and use hands and fingers.
- Occasionally required to climb, balance, bend, stoop, kneel or crouch.
- May be required to lift, move and carry up to 50 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- Hearing acuity sufficient to effectively communicate with customers and Employees via telephone and in person.
- Ability to communicate verbally on phone and in person.
- Fluency in the English language.
- Extended hours may be required.
- Some travel required.
- Laboratory environment with potential biohazards present.
- Potential for exposure to agents known to cause zoonotic disease in humans and use of potentially hazardous chemicals as defined by the National Hazard Communication Standards. A complete list of such chemicals is available from department supervision.
No unsolicited Employment Agency resumes are accepted.
Keywords: IDEXX Laboratories, Inc, Sacramento , Medical Laboratory Technician II - Generalist, Day Shift, Healthcare , West Sacramento, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!