SacramentoRecruiter Since 2001
the smart solution for Sacramento jobs


Company: Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District
Location: Sacramento
Posted on: January 15, 2022

Job Description:

Salary and Benefits

Step 1 Step 2 Step 3
$20.76 $21.78 $22.88

Retirement - CalPERS Safety retirement: Classic employee 3% @ 50, PEPRA employee 2.7% @ 57

Health Benefits - CalPERS health insurance offering variety of HMO's and PPO's. District contributes 92% of the health plan premium and the employee is responsible for the remaining 8% of the premium. Dental and vision insurance are also paid by the District.

Life Insurance - $20,000 for the first probationary year and $100,000 thereafter.

PTO Leave - 4 hours / month
Sick Leave - 6 hours / month

Under direction of the assigned EMS Captain/Supervisor, provides ambulance transport services as a member of the Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District (District) Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Division.

The non-firefighter position of Paramedic (EMT-P) works under the direct supervision of the EMS assigned Captain in conjunction with other District Staff and the overall direction of the Operations Division. The primary responsibility of the EMT-P is to provide Advanced Life Support (ALS) care and transport of patients as a component of the Sacramento County 911 EMS System. An EMT-P is required to be able to make critical decisions that impact the safety, well being, or life of patients and members of the District in stressful situations. The EMT-P is expected to execute sound judgment that demonstrates the highest of ethical and moral standards in the performance of job duties and other situations with and without explicit direction.
The Single Role Paramedic is a three (3) year limited term position. The term of employment may be extended as necessary at the discretion of the Fire Chief.

The Paramedic position is expected to transition into the Firefighter/Paramedic position within the three (3) year term. Employees transitioning into the rank of Firefighter/Paramedic must possess (a) Paramedic License accredited in Sacramento County and in good standing with the District, (b) Six month appraisal with satisfactory scores as a Paramedic, (c) CPAT card that is valid within 12 months of the final filing date for Firefighter/Paramedic as determined by the District, (d) receive a passing score in an interview process. Examples Of Essential Duties: This job description is intended to convey information essential to understanding the scope of the position; it is not intended to be an exhaustive list of skills, efforts, duties, responsibilities or working conditions associated with the position.
The incumbent will be required to perform a full range of EMS skills and services, including but not limited to:
1. Operate District owned ambulances and other District vehicles as directed, including driving to and from medical emergencies as part of the ambulance transportation team.
2. A licensed Paramedic is authorized to do any of the following procedures utilizing both BLS and ALS level skills during training, while at the scene of an emergency, or during patient care, but is not limited to:
A. Evaluate the ill and injured and document findings and actions on a patient care report
B. Render both basic and advance life support, rescue and first aid to patients

C. Obtain and document diagnostic signs including but not limited to temperature, blood pressure, pulse and respiration rates, level of consciousness, pupil status and electrocardiogram interpretations

D. Perform cardiopulmonary resuscitation, including the use of mechanical adjuncts to advanced cardiopulmonary resuscitation and both manual difibrillators and automated external defibrillators (AED)

E. Use the following adjunctive airway breathing aids:

1. Oropharyngeal airway; nasopharyngeal airway;
2. Advanced airways to include Supraglottic and endotracheal intubation
3. Waveform capnography
4. Suction devices;
5. Basic and advanced oxygen delivery devices; and
6. Manual and mechanical ventilating devices designed for pre-hospital use.

F. Use various types of stretchers and body immobilization devices.
G. Provide initial pre-hospital emergency care of trauma
H. Perform basic field triage
I. Transport patients
J. Manage patients within their scope of practice
K. Administration of emergency medications per Sacramento County EMS Protocols
L. Lifting patients into ambulances on a gurney
M. Contact and obtain direction from base hospitals regarding patient care

3. Cleans and decontaminates equipment including but not limited to, ambulances and EMS equipment.
4. Collection and documentation of patient billing information per District policy.
5. Maintains and restocks inventory of ambulance and station EMS supplies through logistics orders.
6. Performs preventative maintenance inspections (PMI) on assigned apparatus.
7. Follows all Federal, State, County, Local, and District laws, regulations, protocols, and policies including the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA).
8. Attend and successfully complete District and hospital training sessions and drills.
9. Participates in overseeing operational readiness and cleanliness of apparatus and equipment.
10. Performs other duties as directed by District Staff in accordance with the EMS Division.

11. Regular and reliable attendance is a requirement of the job.

Typical Qualifications: AGE: Must be at least eighteen (18) years of age.

1. High School Diploma or equivalent.
2. Possession of and ability to maintain a current non-probationary California EMT-P License with a current CPR card. National Registry Cards will not be accepted.

3. Must be accredited as an EMT-P by the Sacramento County Emergency Medical Agency prior to completion of academy.

EXPERIENCE: Work experience on a transporting ambulance is highly desirable.
LICENSE: Possession of and ability to maintain a current valid California Driver's License, Class C, is a condition of employment

BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION: Candidates offered formal employment must be successful in all examination phases, including passing the District's background investigation to include a criminal history check, DMV verification, credit history review, truth verification examination, psychological examination, physical examination, and a drug screening.

Supplemental Information: BENEFITS: The District offers a wide variety of programs covering health and dental insurance, life insurance, PERS Safety retirement (2.7% @ 57 for PEPRA Members, or 3% @ 50 for Classic Members), sick leave, vacation leave, and 457 deferred compensation.

  • Health Benefits - CalPERS health insurance offering variety of HMO's and PPO's. District contributes 92% of the health plan premium and the employee is responsible for the remaining 8% of the premium. Dental and vision insurance are also paid by the District.
  • Life Insurance - $20,000 for the first probationary year and $100,000 thereafter. ONLINE APPLICATIONS:

    You must attach a copy of :

    1 - Valid, non-probationary CA Paramedic License
    2 -CPR card
    National Registry Cards will not be accepted. Please do not attach any other supporting documentation other than the Paramedic License and CPR card. If you are unable to scan your supporting documents, you may mail in your documentation to 10545 Armstrong Ave, Suite 200, Mather, CA, 95655, or fax to .

    Answer all questions and furnish all information requested on the application. Although a resume may be submitted along with your application, it will not be accepted as a substitute for any of the required application documents or question responses. In summary, do not write "see resume" in lieu of answering any question. Incomplete applications will be automatically disqualified. No exceptions. Application results and all correspondence will be e-mailed so please provide a valid e-mail address on the online application.


    Panel Oral Interviews/EMS Assessment - Qualified candidates may be scheduled for panel oral interviews and an EMS assessment.

    VETERANS PREFERENCE CREDIT: Veterans who have received an honorable discharge will be allowed an additional 5% that will be added to their over-all passing score at the end of the testing process. To obtain this credit, veterans must attach proof of honorable discharge or disability to their online application.

    ELIGIBILITY LIST: Candidates must be successful in all examination phases to be placed on an eligibility list. The Fire Chief will, when filling vacancies, make a selection from those on the eligibility list.

    PROOF OF LEGAL RESIDENCE: Pursuant to the Immigration Reform and Control Act (IRCA) of 1986, all new hire applicants will be required to show proof of legal residence entitling them to work in the United States prior to becoming an employee of the District.

    The information contained herein is subject to change and does not constitute either an expressed or implied contract.

    recblid qmstlrdvhlqqhgxeprxsgh9w0dyzza

Keywords: Sacramento Metropolitan Fire District, Sacramento , Paramedic, Healthcare , Sacramento, California

Click here to apply!

Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!

I'm looking for
in category

Log In or Create An Account

Get the latest California jobs by following @recnetCA on Twitter!

Sacramento RSS job feeds