Executive Director of Western States Policy and Outreach
Company: Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities
Posted on: May 24, 2023
Description: SUMMARY Based in Sacramento, CA, the Incumbent has
overall responsibility for the functioning of the Western Regional
Office (WRO). S/he reports to the Vice President for Policy and
Government Relations in developing and advancing HACU's legislative
agenda with respect to state government issues in the five western
states of California, Arizona, Nevada, Oregon, and Washington. S/he
will coordinate activities for legislative relations, work in a
cooperative mode with both executive and legislative branches of
the state governments, as well as regional policy centers, Hispanic
and other minority organizations, other legislative affairs
departments of member colleges and systems in the region, and
higher education associations, and track state policy in operation
or under development by performing the following duties personally
or through subordinate assistants. S/he is also responsible for
maintaining strong member relationships in the Western Region
Office service area, including the promotion of HACU programs and
services.EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Master's degree in public administration, higher education, or
related field with experience in state government relations and
policy analysis, preferably in higher education or
- Experience and/or training at the federal/state level on issues
impacting Hispanics in higher education.
- Strong knowledge of and familiarity with the state legislation,
budget, and appropriations process. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND
RESPONSIBILITIES(Other duties may be assigned)
- Manage all staff assigned to the Western Regional Office as a
- Plan, organize and coordinate HACU's legislative strategies and
activities with the western regional state governments and
agencies. Assist with regional activity in support of HACU's
federal government advocacy, including contact with federally
elected officials and their local office staff.
- Meet with legislators, legislative staff, state agency staff,
lobbyists, members of advocacy groups, and the general public
regarding legislative policy issues.
- Prepare written statements and analyses of budget and policy
documents and present analyses orally to HACU leadership, staff,
- Establish and maintain relationships with legislative affairs
officers of member institutions and systems in the region to track
and propose policy positions with regard to western state-level
issues affecting Hispanic higher education.
- Monitor legislative proceedings in the five western states and
provide reports of the proposed or passed legislation.
- Work closely with western region state agencies in identifying
resources for regional HSIs and for transmitting this information
to HSIs in the appropriate manner and in a timely fashion.
- Communicate with and engage regional HSI presidents and other
key institutional officials and state government officials in
promoting and advocating HACU's regional policy priorities, bills,
and/or regulations that have a potential impact on member
institutions in the region.
- Maintain collegial relationships, including regular
communication, with all Hispanic-Serving Institutions and HACU
- Coordinate, in collaboration with other HACU staff, state
and/or regional meetings of HSI presidents and/or campus leaders
around state/regional legislative and educational policy
- Arrange and facilitate testimony, meetings, and other such
contacts with elected or appointed state officials by HACU's
President and Presidents/CEOs of HACU-member institutions.
- Monitor and analyze regional state legislative bills and
proposals to ensure that the interests of HACU-member institutions
are included in such items.
- Draft and prepare documents and correspondence related to
regional state government relations and legislation for the
President of HACU and the HACU Governmental Relations
- Represent HACU at meetings/conferences/symposiums and make
presentations to groups.
- Write summaries, documents, and internal reports for Governing
Board meetings, as well as monthly cabinet and staff meetings.
- Write, publish and disseminate regional legislative alert
announcements, briefs, and newsletters for timely distribution to
membership and other target groups as directed.
- Maintain WRO's social media presence.
- Promote and assist HACU's programs, particularly the HACU
National Internship Program (HNIP) in the WRO service area.
- Assist senior management in other tasks or projects as
assigned.SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES Supervisory responsibility
for all personnel assigned to the Western Regional Office, which
currently includes a Legislative Aide.Requirements: QUALIFICATIONS
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to
perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed
below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability
required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable
individuals with disabilities to perform the essential
functions.LANGUAGE SKILLS Exceptional people skills and excellent
oral and written communication skills. Spanish language proficiency
is highly desired. Ability to read, analyze, and interpret
legislation, legislative and policy analyses, governmental and
technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability
to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to a
prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present
information in written reports and in verbal presentations to top
management, elected and appointed state officials, state
agencies/departments, public groups, higher education
organizations, members of the business community, members of
Hispanic organizations, and/or governing boards of
directors.RESEARCH AND BUDGETING SKILLSAbility to analyze and
interpret research documents and data including mathematical
concepts such as probability and statistical inference. Ability to
develop and manage an annual office budget.OTHER SKILLSProficiency
with computers (e.g., word processing, database search) and
familiarity with educational issues affecting Hispanic students.
Ability to use a legislative tracking systemTRAVEL
REQUIREMENTSTravel is required for this position, including but not
limited to conferences and member presentations and meetings.
Travel varies in frequency throughout the year.PHYSICAL DEMANDS &
- Employee will work a standard of 40 hours a week; however,
longer hours may be necessary at times.
- Development activities, Conferences and events may take place
in hotel and/or convention center settings and require longer hours
of work on a constantly changing schedule, including work on
weekends and evenings.
- Working conditions are in an office environment.
- Occasionally moves items weighing up to 20 pounds.
- Occasionally move about the office.
- Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity
- Positions self to perform essential functions of the job in an
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position.
- Maintains and ensures the security of HACU-issued equipment,
software, data, and supplies.REASONABLE ACCOMMODATIONIn accordance
with the ADA and other applicable laws, reasonable accommodation
will be made to enable a qualified individual with a disability to
perform the essential functions of the job.Relocation assistance is
not available for this position.SALARY AND BENEFITS
- The salary range for this position is $99,447 - $150,000.
- HACU offers a friendly work environment and a generous
company-paid benefits plan.
- 15 company paid holidays
- Employer-paid Group-Term Life, AD&D, Long-Term and
Short-Term Disability benefits
- Generous employer-paid contributions toward healthcare plan
- 403(b), employer contributions (no match required) starting at
six months of service
- Employee Assistance Program
- Optional Dental, Vision, Legal and Identity protection, and
optional Accident, Cancer, Hospital Indemnity, and Dependent Life
Insurance plans.EEO STATEMENTThe Hispanic Association of Colleges
and Universities (HACU) believes that equal opportunity for all
employees and applicants is important for the continuing success of
our organization. As an equal opportunity employer, HACU is
committed to a policy that provides equal employment opportunities
to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to
race, color, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, marital
status, pregnancy, medical condition including genetic
characteristics, physical or mental disability, veteran status,
gender identification and expression, sexual orientation, and to
make all employment decisions so as to further this principle of
equal employment opportunity. HACU will not discriminate against
any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color,
sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, marital status,
pregnancy, medical condition including genetic characteristics,
physical or mental disability, veteran status, gender
identification and expression, sexual orientation, and will take
affirmative action to ensure that applicants are offered employment
and employees are treated during employment without regard to these
characteristics. For more information regarding Equal Employment
Opportunity, click .ADA STATEMENTThe Hispanic Association of
Colleges and Universities (HACU) is committed to the full inclusion
of all qualified individuals. Consistent with the Americans with
Disabilities Act (ADA), the HACU will provide reasonable
accommodation when requested by a qualified applicant or employee,
unless such accommodation would cause an undue hardship. The policy
regarding requests for reasonable accommodation applies to all
aspects of employment, including the application process. If
reasonable accommodation is needed during the application process,
please email email@example.com. For more information regarding the
Americans with Disabilities Act, click .PI217086143
Keywords: Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities, Sacramento , Executive Director of Western States Policy and Outreach, Executive , Sacramento, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!
Loading more jobs...