Accounting Specialist - New College Grad
Company: Golden 1 Credit Union
Posted on: January 15, 2022
Our headquarters in Sacramento contains the core functions that
support our mission to deliver financial solutions with value,
convenience and exceptional service to our members.
JOB TITLE: Accounting Specialist - New College Graduate
JOB CODE: 1760
The Accounting Specialist- New Grad Position is an entry level
position that supports the Accounting department by providing value
added service to members, credit union staff, and vendors in a
professional, efficient, courteous, and respectful manner. Embrace
and embody Golden 1's mission, vision and core values. Ensures
accurate and ethical accounting treatment of Credit Union
activities in all financial statements and reporting. Proactively
engage stakeholders to identify solutions designed to assist them
in achieving the strategic initiatives of the Credit Union.
This Accounting Specialist- New Grad Position is part of a brand
new program at Golden 1 Credit Union called the "Careers After
College Program." This program is designed for recent college
graduates who are looking to enter the workplace as a full-time
employee in their area of interest. These hired individuals will be
supported for their first 6 months of employment with various
workshops, seminars, and networking opportunities. Our goal is to
ensure success as the recent college graduates transition into
full-time employees of the Credit Union.
TASKS, DUTIES, FUNCTIONS
Perform the following job duties and responsibilities in accordance
with corporate policy and procedures, within established
1. Analyze general ledger accounts.
2. Monitor and maintain sub-ledgers.
3. Reconcile, research, and clear differences.
4. Develop process improvements to accounting systems and
procedures to mitigate/resolve systemic issues and outages.
5. Data entry and recordkeeping.
6. Prepare journal entries for the Credit Union.
7. Review and research monthly income statement variances.
8. Participate in department projects.
9. Assists in the preparation and review of internal financial
reports, including Cash Flow, Financial Statements, variance,
statistical reporting, and other ad-hoc reporting.
10. Maintain a current procedure manual for all position
11. Update procedures in response to changes in operational
activities or technological upgrades.
12. Maintain a thorough understanding of state and federal laws and
regulations related to credit union compliance including bank
secrecy act (BSA) and anti-money laundering laws appropriate to the
13. Ensure compliance with applicable standards, rules, regulations
and systems of internal control.
14. Perform other duties as assigned.
Specializations in this position may include basic knowledge on one
or more of the following:
- Accounts Payable (Invoice Processing, Expense Report
Processing, Travel Advance Processing, Corporate Card
Reconciliation, 1099 Reporting)
- Prepaid Expense and Accrual Tracking
- Financial Institution Balancing and Reconciliation
- ATM Balancing
- Negotiable Items (Check Deposits, Cashier's Checks, and Money
- Shared Branch Operations (SBO)
- FED & Member Adjustments
- Vault/Cash BalancingPHYSICAL SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND EXERTION
UTILIZED IN THE PERFORMANCE OF THESE TASKS
1. Effective oral and written communication skills required to
2. Must possess sufficient manual dexterity to skillfully operate a
personal computer and other standard office equipment, such as a
10-key calculator, copy machine, and telephone.
3. Must work independently with minimal direction and exhibit own
1. EDUCATION: Bachelor's Degree in Accounting (Graduation date of
2020 or 2021)
2. EXPERIENCE: One-year experience in Accounting, financial
institution, or equivalent preferred. Internship experience
- Functional Knowledge in the following areas: Federal Rules and
Regulations as applied to credit unions; Golden 1 Products
(Awareness); Golden 1 Employee Handbook.
- Basic knowledge in the following areas: Golden 1 Policies and
Procedures; Financial Statement Concepts; Matching Principal;
Normal Account Balances (Debits and Credits); Accrual Based
- Basic knowledge in the following systems/applications:
Microsoft Word; Microsoft Outlook- Email, Calendar, Task; Microsoft
Excel- Formulas, functions, and troubleshooting thereof; PDF
Editing (Adobe/Nitro Pro); Web Browser (Chrome, Internet Explorer
and Edge); Conference/Virtual Meetings and Communication (i.e.
Zoom, Cisco WebEx).
- Basic knowledge in the following systems/applications
(Preferred): Prologue Financials; Frontier Reconciliation;
Nautilus; DataSafe; DayForce (HRIS); Concur (Invoice/Expense);
- Models Golden 1's Core Values of Service Excellence, Respect,
Integrity and Reliability; Embraces Golden 1's mission and
- Acts ethically in all matters.
- Plans and organizes work in order to support department
- Demonstrates awareness of the importance of one's own role to
the delivery of excellent service for our members and
- Manages time effectively and adapts to change in
- Productively works to improve the standard way of doing things,
anticipating issues to prevent problems before they occur.
- Utilizes skill and training to make recommendations to improve
a process, support our Core Values and/or save costs.
- Can be counted on to meet obligations and accepts
accountability for delivering results.
- Does what they say they will do. Walks the talk.
- Establishes, monitors and reports key performance
- Demonstrates reliable and on-time attendance.
- Demonstrates functional, technical and job specific knowledge
required for position.
- Is available and sought after as a resource of relevant skill
- Takes ownership of their own professional and personal
development to ensure their skills remain current and
- Is open and willing to try new approaches and ideas.
- Sees opportunities where others see roadblocks.
- Learns about and embraces changes in Golden 1's strategy or
- Takes initiative to identify, investigate and resolve
stakeholder issues, including operational and support
- Attention to detail; ensures accuracy in work
product.Communication & Interaction:
- Steward of the Golden 1 Brand and maintains quality standards
of service excellence in all interactions.
- Respects and works well with people with diverse skills,
styles, perspectives, and backgrounds.
- Contributes to an inclusive environment, where everyone is
treated with courtesy, dignity and respect, regardless of perceived
- Provides exceptional member/colleague service by showing
caring, friendly, member centric support, and seeking opportunities
to provide Golden Service.
- Communicates clearly and concisely, both in written and oral
- Constructively shares lessons learned in success or failure
with others to continuously improve how work gets done.
- Shares knowledge freely to help others succeed.
- Able to communicate insights and understanding of issues or
problems in a skillful way.
- Shares important information at appropriate time; Ability to
escalate issues requiring additional action.
- Works well within team and across departments, effectively
collaborating and interacting with coworkers, leaders, and
- Takes time to understand co-workers work goals and supports
them in their effort to do their best work.
- Acknowledges and celebrates the success of others.
- Gives and receives honest and candid feedback in a constructive
way; Leverage feedback to further personal and professional
- Resolves conflicts with colleagues immediately with the utmost
- Fully participates in meetings, proactively bringing forward
relevant information, ideas and potential solutions.
- Positively adapts to changes in Golden 1 and/or changes in own
role, and helps others to do the same.
- Effective listener.
- Presumes positive intent in all communications.
- Displays a positive, outgoing, and empathetic attitude.
- Able to translate relevant Accounting concepts and information
- Comfortable communicating with staff level employees throughout
the credit union, vendors, and all levels of
- Inspires others through words and actions.
- Guides external stakeholders to proper resources for
- Provide guidance and training to other Accounting
1. Lifting up to fifteen pounds without assistance.
2. Prolonged sitting throughout the workday with occasional
3. Corrected vision in normal range required to read and review
logs, general ledger documents, and perform other related tasks
pertaining to this functional area.
4. Hearing in normal range to handle moderate telephone contact. A
telephone device to enhance hearing will be provided if needed.
5. Minimal local and statewide travel by car or public conveyance
to attend meetings, seminars, conferences, training classes,
We appreciate your interest in joining the Golden 1 team! If you
are selected to participate in the interview process we will
Keywords: Golden 1 Credit Union, Sacramento , Accounting Specialist - New College Grad, Accounting, Auditing , Sacramento, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!