Company: Golden1 Credit Union
Posted on: January 15, 2022
JOB TITLE: - -Staff Accountant DEPARTMENT: -Accounting STATUS: -
-Exempt JOB CODE: - -4229 - - GENERAL DESCRIPTION: - - The Staff
Accountant is an advanced level position that supports the
Accounting department by providing value added service to members,
credit union staff, and vendors in a professional, efficient,
courteous, and respectful manner. Embrace and embody Golden 1's
mission, vision and core values. - Ensures accurate and ethical
accounting treatment of Credit Union activities in all financial
statements and reporting. Using discretion and independent
judgement, proactively engage stakeholders to identify solutions
designed to assist them in achieving the strategic initiatives of
the Credit Union. TASKS, DUTIES, FUNCTIONS: Perform the following
job duties and responsibilities in accordance with corporate policy
and procedures, within established timeframes:
- Analyze general ledger accounts.
- Monitor and maintain sub-ledgers.
- Reconcile, research, and clear differences.
- Develop process improvements to accounting systems and
procedures to mitigate/resolve systemic issues and outages.
- Data entry and recordkeeping.
- Prepare journal entries for the Credit Union.
- Review and research monthly income statement variances.
- Participate in department projects by providing expert advice
to management on all items related to their accounting
specialization(s). - -
- Initiating and leading meetings to resolve issues.
- Contributes to the preparation and review of internal financial
reports, including Cash Flow, Financial Statements, variance,
statistical reporting, and other ad-hoc reporting. -
- Formulate, affect, interpret, and implement management policies
and procedure practices for all position functions.
- Update procedures in response to changes in operational
activities or technological upgrades.
- Maintain a thorough understanding of state and federal laws and
regulations related to credit union compliance including bank
secrecy act (BSA) and anti-money laundering laws appropriate to the
- Ensure compliance with applicable standards, rules, regulations
and systems of internal control.
- Preparation of audit work papers/computer spreadsheets for
- Independently formulate budget expectations for accounting
specialization(s) in budget preparation, analyzing past performance
and anticipating likely future implications.
- Proactively develops and delivers solution recommendations to
- Contributes to the preparation and review of external financial
reports, including Investments, Financial Statements, variance
reports, regulatory reports, Board reports, statistical reporting,
peer reporting, and other ad-hoc reporting. -
- Increase productivity by developing automated applications,
eliminating duplications and coordinating information
- Perform reviews or validations of Accounting Specialist work
prior to, or in lieu of, review by Accounting Supervisor.
- Influences capital project planning.
- Update and maintain computerized accounting models and analyze
results through reports, graphs and other analytical tools. -
- Develop reports for executive management and the board of
- Create, analyze, review data, supporting spreadsheets, and
charts to report the financial performance of the Credit
- Recommend enhancements to analytical modeling tools to further
support strategic plans and initiatives. -
- Perform reviews or validations of other accountants work prior
to, or in lieu of, review by Accounting Manager or Budget
- Contributes to preparation of audit work papers/computer
spreadsheets for external auditors.
- Contributes to preparation of Allowance for Loan Loss Analysis
(ALL), Call Report, Delinquency, Modifications, and Charge-off
- Develop and Recommend Internal Controls improvements.
- Comprehension of economic and industry impact on financial
planning and ability to adjust accordingly.
- Lead and coordinate capital project planning by advising
business owners on appropriate accounting treatment on project
costs and related expenses.
- Perform other duties as assigned. Specializations in this
position may include advanced knowledge in one or more of the
- Accounts Payable (Invoice Processing, Expense Report
Processing, Travel Advance Processing, Corporate Card
Reconciliation, 1099 Reporting) -
- Prepaid Expense and Accrual Tracking
- Fixed Asset Accounting (Property Tax Reporting, Budgeted
- Financial Statement Preparation, Analysis, Reporting, and
- Accounting Standards Codification (ASC) Updates and
- Investment Accounting
- Hedge Accounting
- Lease Accounting
- Tax Filing and Reporting
- Financial Institution Balancing and Reconciliation
- ATM Balancing
- Negotiable Items (Check Deposits, Cashier's Checks, and Money
- Shared Branch Operations (SBO)
- FED & Member Adjustments
- Vault/Cash Balancing
- Loan Accounting and Reporting (FAS91 Cost Estimates, Mortgage
Servicing Rights) PHYSICAL SKILLS, ABILITIES, AND EXERTION UTILIZED
IN THE PERFORMANCE OF THESE TASKS:
- Effective oral and written communication skills required to
perform duties. -
- Must possess sufficient manual dexterity to skillfully operate
a personal computer and other standard office equipment, such as a
10-key calculator, copy machine, and telephone. -
- Must work independently with minimal direction and exhibit own
- EDUCATION: Master's Degree in Accounting or equivalent
combination of education, training, and experience preferred.
- EXPERIENCE: Five years experience in Accounting, financial
institution, or equivalent preferred.
- KNOWLEDGE/SKILLS: -
- Functional Knowledge in the following areas: Federal Rules and
Regulations as applied to credit unions; Golden 1 Products
(Awareness); Golden 1 Employee Handbook.
- Advanced knowledge in the following areas: Golden 1 Policies
and Procedures; Financial Statement Concepts; Matching Principal;
Natural Account Balances (Debits and Credits); Accrual Based
Accounting; Depreciation and Amortization; Purpose and Requirements
of Internal Controls; Accounting Ratios; Maintain a working
knowledge of GAAP to ensure accuracy of Financial Statements
including accounting, tax, regulatory, and other related
- Advanced knowledge in the following systems/applications:
Microsoft Word; Microsoft Outlook- Email, Calendar, Task; Microsoft
Excel- Formulas, functions, and troubleshooting thereof; PDF
Editing (Adobe/Nitro Pro); Web Browser (Chrome, Internet Explorer
and Edge); Conference/Virtual Meetings and Communication (i.e.
Zoom, Cisco WebEx); Microsoft Access; Microsoft PowerPoint.
- Advanced knowledge in the following systems/applications
(preferred): Prologue Financials; Frontier Reconciliation;
Nautilus; DataSafe; DayForce (HRIS); Concur (Invoice/Expense);
Fedline; Monarch; Axiom (Financial Planning Model); Callahan (Peer
Analysis Software); Power Query; SQL; Efolio.
- Models Golden 1's Core Values of Service Excellence, Respect,
Integrity and Reliability; Embraces Golden 1's mission and
- Acts ethically in all matters.
- Plans and organizes work in order to support department
- Demonstrates awareness of the importance of one's own role to
the delivery of excellent service for our members and colleagues.
- Manages time effectively and adapts to change in priorities.
- Productively works to improve the standard way of doing things,
anticipating issues to prevent problems before they occur.
- Utilizes skill and training to make recommendations to improve
a process, support our Core Values and/or save costs.
- Can be counted on to meet obligations and accepts
accountability for delivering results.
- Does what they say they will do. Walks the talk.
- Establishes, monitors and reports key performance
- Demonstrates reliable and on-time attendance.
- Demonstrates functional, technical and job specific knowledge
required for position.
- Is available and sought after as a resource of relevant skill
- Takes ownership of their own professional and personal
development to ensure their skills remain current and
- Is open and willing to try new approaches and ideas.
- Sees opportunities where others see roadblocks.
- Learns about and embraces changes in Golden 1's strategy or
- Takes initiative to identify, investigate and resolve
stakeholder issues, including operational and support
- Attention to detail; ensures accuracy in work product.
- Ability to independently prioritize tasks.
- Ability to structure workload, adding or delegating tasks as
- Manages time to ensure work life balance.
- Practices stress management techniques to maintain healthy,
- Leverages available tools and resources to stay organized and
- Displays a high level of emotional intelligence.
- Demonstrates desire and ambition to achieve.
- Knows when work product requires additional attention to
presentation and acts accordingly to ensure deliverables match the
- Communication & Interaction:
- Steward of the Golden 1 Brand and maintains quality standards
of service excellence in all interactions.
- Respects and works well with people with diverse skills,
styles, perspectives, and backgrounds. -
- Contributes to an inclusive environment, where everyone is
treated with courtesy, dignity and respect, regardless of perceived
- Provides exceptional member/colleague service by showing
caring, friendly, member centric support, and seeking opportunities
to provide Golden Service.
- Communicates clearly and concisely, both in written and oral
- Constructively shares lessons learned in success or failure
with others to continuously improve how work gets done.
- Shares knowledge freely to help others succeed.
- Able to communicate insights and understanding of issues or
problems in a skillful way.
- Shares important information at appropriate time; Ability to
escalate issues requiring additional action.
- Works well within team and across departments, effectively
collaborating and interacting with coworkers, leaders, and
- Takes time to understand co-workers work goals and supports
them in their effort to do their best work.
- Acknowledges and celebrates the success of others.
- Gives and receives honest and candid feedback in a constructive
way; Leverage feedback to further personal and professional
- Resolves conflicts with colleagues immediately with the utmost
- Fully participates in meetings, proactively bringing forward
relevant information, ideas and potential solutions.
- Positively adapts to changes in Golden 1 and/or changes in own
role, and helps others to do the same.
- Effective listener.
- Presumes positive intent in all communications.
- Displays a positive, outgoing, and empathetic attitude.
- Able to translate relevant Accounting concepts and information
- Comfortable communicating with staff level employees throughout
the credit union, vendors, and all levels of Accounting.
- Communicates the "why", not just the "how" or "what".
- Addresses inquiries holistically rather than literally.
- Ability to ask relevant probing questions of external
stakeholders to ensure appropriate accounting treatment.
- Confident communicating with mid-level management outside the
- Polished presentation skills; Speaks clearly and
- Makes complicated information understandable to the
- Confident communicating with all levels of management outside
the Accounting department, including executive leadership.
- Inspires others through words and actions.
- Guides external stakeholders to proper resources for
- Provide guidance and training to other Accounting
- Educates external stakeholders on proper accounting treatment
of credit union actions.
- Provide guidance and training to other Junior Staff
- Effective delegation skills; knows when to delegate and when to
- Ability to effectively lead efficient meetings.
- Mentor and develop employees throughout the department.
- Develops coaching and leadership skills by observation and
training courses. PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS:
- Lifting up to fifteen pounds without assistance. -
- Prolonged sitting throughout the workday with occasional
mobility required. -
- Corrected vision in normal range required to read and review
logs, general ledger documents, and perform other related tasks
pertaining to this functional area. -
- Hearing in normal range to handle moderate telephone contact. A
telephone device to enhance hearing will be provided if needed.
- Minimal local and statewide travel by car or public conveyance
to attend meetings, seminars, conferences, training classes, etc.
- Long work hours may be required to complete assigned tasks.
-LICENSES/CERTIFICATIONS: None THIS JOB DESCRIPTION IN NO WAY
STATES OR IMPLIES THAT THESE ARE THE ONLY DUTIES TO BE PERFORMED BY
THIS EMPLOYEE. - -HE OR SHE WILL BE REQUIRED TO FOLLOW OTHER
INSTRUCTIONS AND TO PERFORM OTHER DUTIES REQUESTED BY HIS OR HER
SUPERVISOR THAT ARE WITHIN HIS / HER KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY
AS WELL AS HIS / HER MENTAL AND PHYSICAL ABILITIES.
Keywords: Golden1 Credit Union, Sacramento , Staff Accountant, Accounting, Auditing , Sacramento, California
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!